Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails...

... that's what boys are made of!  Last week was a week of Boy Quilts.  Some dear friends are in Taiwan right now finishing up all the red tape and paperwork to bring home their 2nd son from that country.  Some time ago I whipped up a quick top for Jeremiah.  Last week quilter hubby and I got the label made and added to the back... sandwiched the layers and then he quilted it one afternoon... zip... zip.. done. The man is a beast when it comes to machine quilting!  I think it turned out super cute!



At the beginning of last week, I put together a quilt top for a young couple in our church expecting their first child.. a boy. I had picked out some fabrics from my stash, but then learned they were using brown and blue in the nursery.  Hub and I made a mad dash to a couple of fabric stores and bought a few things but nothing would gel in my mind. So I decided to stick with the original fabrics.  Found a pattern in an old quilt magazine and took off.  It is set on point... my first time to do that.. stressed me out totally... I am very much a wing-it girl and this took way more planning and watching than I am use to.  It turned out well though.


But when it came time to sandwich and quilt, I just couldn't do it. I knew it wasn't what they wanted and would not suit them at all. So last Saturday, the day before the shower, Hub and I pulled charms and scraps and such and started cutting.  I pieced together the top... a quick and easy coin top made up of tan, cream and blue coins... set with brown sashing and borders.  Hubby then did his quilting magic and voila!  a quilt was born.  The photo does not do it justice. The brown fabric is not as dark as it appears... although it is dark.. it is Kona Cotton Espresso and has a very rich tone.  The expectant mommy loved it... so it was well work the change in plans!


Now this pink girl is ready to work with something girlie!

"Belle"

No comments: