Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Happy for Myself!

I have been working on so many quilts for other folks, which I love!  And I have a long running project started with the GFG for my mom.... but sometimes I need something that is quick and sometimes I need something that is just for me... so today I got that!  I have been using a cute little 4 patch pincushion to hold needles and pins with my GFG project... but my scissors and other supplies just sort of float around and the end table next to my couch is covered with snippets of thread!  I went on an Internet quest to find a cute and easy thread catcher, but what I found is even better! ... a weighted pin cushion with plenty of room for pens and needles... a pocket to hold other supplies like small scissors, thread snips, seam ripper etc.  and a thread catcher (this one can be removed to use alone or empty out!).

I decided to use some 1930 repro fabric.. and much to the shock of my family and friends, it isn't pink!  I went with purple. I do love pink though and just might end up with a pink one to use at my sewing machine!

I did make one change.. the original patten (which I will post) had a felted wool strip to hold spare needles. I have no felted wool (my friend, Rhonda just fainted at that thought!)... I have never used felted wool in a project.. might one day, but really have no big draw to it.  Instead, I used a contrasting fabric to create the band to hold the spare needles.  They are difficult to see in the photo, but they are there!

I think it turned out well...



Here is the link to the tutorial. It is well written with photos. There are a couple of steps I had to really walk through where I felt a little more detail could have been given. For a sewing pro (like my 2 sisters-in-law who have been sewing all their lives) there will be no trouble. If you are still a novice to sewing, like me, you might have to think it through a bit as you work, but all in all it is relatively easy.

Pin Cushion Organizer

If you are looking for a quick project.. something to make for yourself or for another sewer (I am sure I will be making a few of these for some quilty friends) ... then this just might be the project for you!  I am looking forward to using it this evening while I watch TV and whipping up more hexgons!

"Belle"

No comments: