Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A New Addiction....

I have started a new hand project... and it is now an addiction!  The same bunch who got me quilting in the first place encourage this new project... I think it is their plot to keep me in bondage to fabric and thread just like they are! 

So here is what I am doing..

First I played with some 1930 repros (I have decided it is impossible to have enough of these!)...


Then I cut some fabric squares and some templates..



A quick bit of sewing while watching tv produced these cuties...



And a bit more sewing and you have a flower... I have 8 so far...



I have always adored the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt and had no idea it was as easy as it is!  I am sure it will get cumbersome as I start putting flowers together, but still. This is definitely one of those quilts that looks more complicated than it is!  I am doing a single flower wiin repros.... each flower has a color scheme, but different fabrics make it up.  I will surround these with white hexagons and white flowers. My inspiration can be found here... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3321/3211500976_b0acb3c7c0.jpg

Isn't that a lovely quilt?!  I have no white hexagons of flowers done because I haven't gotten my white fabric. The yellow centers are Kona Cotton - Lemon.  I plan to use Kona Cotton - Snow for the white. 

My goal is to have this finished before my mom's 80th birthday which is September 21, 2011.. yes 11.  I am going for a full size quilt for her bed.  She has seen the flowers and loves them, but has no idea the quilt is for her. She will love it! She has hinted (boldly I might add) that she wanted a quilt in repros. 

I have to add that I love dong this by hand.. I plan to quilt it by hand also.  My dad's mom made quilts before I was born... she also sewed baby clothes  for me.  She never owned a sewing machine. Everything was done by hand. I feel very connected to her when I am working on this... it is almost as if she is looking over my shoulder watching my work. I think she would be pleased.

One more picture.... Mac kept trying to help me with the GFGs and really wanted in the pictures.. after I told him no he went and pouted a bit... poor Mackie... I am sure a little throwing of the ball and a cheesy treat will make it all better. 

"Belle"

No comments: