Saturday, November 15, 2014

Slowly I return...

I am slowly returning to the land of Fabric!  I've worked on a couple of small projects over the last couple of weeks and today I started a Baby quilt for my great-nephew, Jack, who was born yesterday! I have a few small holiday goodies I want to work on, but most are handwork and I am thinking of making a mat for my sewing table with a drop down pocket to hold scissors, seam ripper etc. Although, I am not sure how practical it would be to sew with those thing between me and the machine!  Gotta think on that one.

So here's what's been happening in the Study-O concerning sewing / quilting / fabric...

My machine did not come with a sewing machine cover and honestly, when I first started sewing / quilting I didn't think there was a need for one. Wrong!  Machines get so dusty (at least mine does).. even when it's being used fairly reguarly. I have a clear vinyl cover I bought at a fabric store some time ago and it definitely does the trick, but I wanted something cute.. fun... and so I whipped this up...



I love the bright colors and especially the pink and green ribbon for the ties!  Goes very well with my bulletin boards.



I have seen several scrappy pillows on Pinterest that include a bit of Embrodiery.  There were lots of 2 1/2" squares left over from the Christmas Granny Squares quilt, so I decided to play a bit. I created a pillow front.. here it is turned 2 different ways.. a bit raggedy and such right now.




I plan to embrodier Merry Christmas in the white space and then finish it off with some cording or trim and backs (I do 2 pieces and create an envelope so it can be removed and washed).  We shall see how it turns out.. no matter.. it is fun to do something.. well, just for fun!

For months now I have had plans for a baby quilt for a great-nephew due in Novemeber..the fabrics have been ironed and draped over the back of a chair for weeks.. and today I finally cut the up and started sewing!  Baby Jack was born yesterday!  His dad went to LSU and loves the Tigers! As soon as I heard a baby boy was coming, I knew I'd do an LSU quilt. I am not an LSU fan.. I bleed red and blue and yell Hotty Toddy quite often (my hubby's alma mater, Mississippi State, is ranked #1 in the Nation right now.. we are a rather diverse bunch!).  You know I love the boy if I'm spending my Saturday messing with anything purple and gold! LOL!



And lest you think the mad quilter (a.k.a. my hubby) has given up the hobby, he has taken the granny square blocks and is adding a frame to each one.  This will create the look of white sashing between the blocks.  Can't wait to see this on the iron bed in the guest room!  It's going to be lovely!




Hope you are having a fabulous day doing whatever makes you smile!

"Belle"

No comments: