Our daughter moved out a little less than a year ago and she took some things with her including the bedding from her bedroom (But she left the furniture for now). Since then, we have just had an old comforter on the bed. It is no way matched the room at all, but it served its purpose to provide a cover on the bed.
I guess we got tired of walking past the room and seeing that old comforter, so hubby (a.k.a. the Mad Quilter) and I decided we needed a quilt for that bed. We have toyed with the idea of making a quilt together for our bed, so this would be a trial run to see how well we work together on a project. I mean we do things together, but usually it is one of ours project and the other is just assisting. This was different. We would be working together through each step (OK.. I didn't quilt the thing.. afterall, he is the fast quilter around these parts and much better at man-handling the beasts!)
The walls in the room are a lovely violet.. not bright purple like Barney, more a medium plum or dark smokey lilac color. So we decided to work off that since we both love violets. We chose a simple pattern that would allow us to utilize scraps we had on hand by alternating 5" charm squares with four patches. Hubby determined the layout of the four patches.. using a light white, cream or tan in one corner to create a bit of a chain once everything was together. We also decided not to limit ourselves to violet. We used that for the 5" charms but the four patches have other colors.. greens, blues, etc. Very scrappy... we love scrappy!
I think it turned out great! This is our first for us bed quilt. There will be others... hopefully a King-Size one for our room will be on the list for 2013.